28. High Fidelity
Top 5 Reasons Why I Love High Fidelity:
5. John Cusack. Playing, essentially, an older version of his character in “Say Anything.” The guy who didn’t want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career naturally owns a music store that’s going under.
4. Jack Black. Before it got old, he did his best manic work as the ultimate music geek/jerk who refuses to sell Lionel Richie but has a soft spot for Marvin Gaye. Without a doubt his best performance of the decade.
3. Lisa Bonet. Remember her, from the Cosby Show? OK, so maybe she’s a lousy actress who’s made some really awful career choices, but if I were to make a list of most interesting people to look at, she’d be #1.
2. It’s a clever, funny, suprisingly honest look at love and relationships in the 21st century. John Cusacks’ proposal — “I’m tired of the fantasy, but I never seem to get tired of you” is so hilariously un-romantic as to be touching, and real. Nick Hornby wrote this stuff. Nobody else could have.
1. Come on, it’s a movie about a music geek who makes lists and rants on and on about pop culture. What’s not to like?